Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for an AI Engineer, Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Engineer will provide AI solutions to the Robotics & Automation team. It is a research as well as a hands-on position including developing algorithms, writing code, testing solutions and developing decision support systems/expert systems based on sensory data.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Use AI approaches (e.g., Neural Networks, fuzzy logic) for devising decision support systems based on sensory data
- Take part in system design review sessions
- Collaborate in writing research papers and present results at seminars
- Support developing new projects and apply for grants
- Manage research technicians and co-op students
- Post-graduate of computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or a related field
- Experience with integrating toolboxes/procedures within own written code
- Experience with writing and implementing AI algorithms (Neural Nets, fuzzy logic, etc.)
- Experience with data mining
- Experience in effectively working as part of a fast-paced team environment with minimal direction
- Confidence in interacting directly with a wide variety of stakeholders
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- MSc in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or a related field
- Post-Doc in robotics/control/AI
- Experience with implementing optimization algorithms
- Experience with big-data (data storage and analysis)
- Experience with implementing deep-learning algorithms
- Experience with writing journal and conference papers as well as grant proposals
This is a four-year contract starting September 4, 2018.