Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Co-op Student - Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Vineland is seeking an engineering student to support our agricultural automation projects. The student will be assisting the robotics & automation team in the programming and operation of automation solutions for the agricultural sector. It is a hands-on position including PLC and microcontrollers programming. The work will involve both lab and on-farm testing.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Program embedded processors (e.g., Arduino, STM32, Tiva, etc.) for integration with various sensors, actuators and other components
- Program, install and troubleshoot PLCs
- Help conducting experiments and analysis on live crops
- Collect data for live crops using imaging sensors as well as other measuring instruments
- Undergraduate college or university student in engineering
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrable programming ability in C/C++ and experience with Python programming, preferably in a Linux environment
- Experience with microcontrollers and PLC programming and control
- Experience with automation and control
- Experience in a research and innovation environment
The term of appointment for this position starts immediately and is until March 31, 2019.