Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Greenhouse Assistant, Vegetable Breeding to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The main responsibility of the position is to assist the vegetable breeding program with plant maintenance including but not limited to clipping, trellising, suckering, plant removal, disease scouting and general greenhouse clean up.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Monitor plants and conditions in the greenhouse
- Prune vegetables, clipping and suckering tomato plants, lowering plants from twine at heights
- Operation of lifts on a piperail system in the hydroponics greenhouse
- Harvest vegetables in a meticulous manner, keeping varieties separate and maintaining data in breeding software Phenome and/or on spreadsheets
- Possibly fertilizer preparation, germinating seedlings, tissue sampling, pruning, staking, transplanting and disposing of plants; experiments will be done both in soil and hydroponically
- Create, manage and perform a crossing block on vegetable crops
- Assist with stocking and organization of greenhouse and field consumables and equipment on an as-needed basis
- Monitor storage conditions of product in coolers
- Clean seed and accession seeds properly, according to vegetable breeding guidelines
- Work cooperatively and safely with the vegetable breeding team to carry out daily research tasks and follow sanitation guidelines
- High school diploma
- Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working in vegetable hydroponics greenhouses is an asset
- Applicant should be able to identify common greenhouse pests (i.e. aphids, thrips, mites) or plant nutrient deficiencies
- Experience working with lifts and jacks or at heights is an asset
- Well-developed computer and technology skills is an asset
The term of appointment for this position is January 2, 2020 to December 24, 2020.
How to Apply:
Click on the Apply Now button.