Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Greenhouse Vegetable Assistant to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The main responsibility of the position is to assist the vegetable breeding program with plant maintenance including but not limited to clipping, trellising, suckering, plant removal, disease scouting, and general greenhouse clean up.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Physical work primarily in our new greenhouse facility assisting with the hydroponic vegetable breeding experiments
- Seeding new vegetable material, transplant raising, as well as assisting with fertigation, pruning, clipping, suckering, harvest, seed organization and storage are all key responsibilities of this position
- Position requires long hours of standing, bending, lifting/twisting, and is physically demanding. Candidate will need to work in potentially hot conditions and be able to do repetitive physical tasks without issue
- Working safely in the greenhouse is absolutely required. This involves adhering to standard operating procedures for plant maintenance techniques, wearing the appropriate equipment for each task, and frequently asking for direction as needed
- Will need to work as part of the team, and be willing to take direction and suggestions without hesitation
- When time permits, assist other areas of the vegetable research program as needed
- High school
- Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Ideal candidate will have a keen interest in greenhouse and horticulture production, as well as plant breeding. Experience with vegetable plant care, maintenance, fertilizing, pest scouting and horticulture knowledge is an asset. Knowledge of WHMIS, First AID/CPR and greenhouse insect/ disease control is desired
- This is an entry-level, field assistant position
The term of appointment for this position is September 2018 to September 2019.