Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Junior Software Developer - Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Robotics & Automation group at Vineland is rapidly growing and is currently seeking a talented Software Developer, who is passionate about R&D, novel technologies, automation and robotics, to join the team. The Software Developer will support the agricultural automation projects within the Robotics & Automation group. The Software Developer will engage in tasks related to the design, implementation, integration, and testing of a data management platform for a set of mobile robots. The work will also involve data collection and analysis for lab and on-farm testing. The Software Developer will also be called upon to develop novel applications for visualizing the data acquired from the mobile fleet of robots.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the design, development, integration and testing of a reliable and secure data management platform for a set of mobile robots
- Help write and optimize in-application SQL statements
- Manipulate data from a variety of sources and formats (SQL, .csv, .txt, Excel, etc.)
- Develop custom data visualization applications
- Collect and manage data for live crops using imaging sensors as well as other data acquisition devices
- Develop protocols and APIs for moving data from edge devices to a database
- Filter and prepare collected data for statistical analysis
- College or university degree: computer science, computer engineering, or software engineering
- Strong proficiency with SQL and its variation among popular databases
- Experience in developing and maintaining databases (SQL)
- Familiarity with the .NET Framework
- Proficiency in developing RESTful APIs
- Code integrity: developing clean, maintainable, and well documented code
- Ability to work in a small multi-disciplinary team with little supervision
- Excellent analytical, time management and organizational skills
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience in Android development
- Experience with MQTT brokers
- Knowledge of data mining (classification and clustering) and machine learning tools (e.g. TensorFlow)
- Knowledge of robotics and automation
This position is a one year contract starting May 1, 2019 to April 28, 2020.