Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Research Assistant - Database Developer (Robotics & Automation) to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Robotics & Automation group at Vineland is rapidly growing and is currently seeking a talented Research Assistant – Database Developer, who is passionate about R&D, novel technologies, automation and robotics, to join the team. The role of the Research Assistant - Database Developer is to support the agricultural automation projects within the Robotics & Automation group. The Research Assistant will support activities related to the design, implementation, integration and testing of a data management platform for a set of mobile robots. The work will also involve data recording, data collection and data analysis for laboratory and on-farm testing.You will work with a fast-moving and creative multi-disciplinary team that is passionate about using robotics and AI to develop novel solutions for the agricultural industry. You will be surrounded by people like you; innovative, creative and driven to finding unique solutions to challenging and rewarding problems.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the design, development, integration and testing of a data management platform for a set of mobile robots
- Work on complex data processing using SQL
- Manipulate data from a variety of sources and formats (SQL, csv, txt, Excel, etc.)
- Perform custom programming (using C++, Python, Java and/or Matlab) to prepare, integrate and manage data
- Ensure the data in the system is up-to-date, accurate, accessible and ready to be applied
- Collect and manage data for live crops using imaging sensors as well as other data acquisition devices
- Filter and prepare collected data for statistical analysis
- Assist in statistical data analysis activities
- Assist in compiling system performance reports
- Assist in writing scholarly publications
- College or university degree: computer science, computer engineering or software engineering
- Strong foundation in one or more of the following programming languages: C++, Python, Matlab and Java
- Solid knowledge of relational databases and structures
- Experience in developing and maintaining databases (SQL)
- Code integrity: developing good, clean and well documented code
- Ability to work in a small multi-disciplinary team with little supervision
- Excellent analytical, time management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of statistical analysis tools (e.g. curve fitting and regression analysis)
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience in App development (Android)
- Experience in wireless communication systems
- Knowledge of data mining (classification and clustering) and machine learning tools
- Knowledge of modern machine learning tools (e.g. Tensorflow)
- Knowledge of cloud platforms (AWS or Azure)
- Knowledge of robotics and automation
- Experience working in a research and development environment
This position is a one year contract starting April 29, 2019 to April 28, 2020.