Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for two Research Assistants - Field (summer students or co-op) to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by Growing Forward 2, a federal-provincial-territorial initiative.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
To assist full-time staff with research activities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Apple orchard maintenance
- Apple pollination
- Vegetable plant production and maintenance
- Seedling transplanting
- General lab, field and greenhouse work
- Large scale data entry and management of data and sample identity preservation
- At least one year of university or college in a related field
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working in a greenhouse or field
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Physically able to lift heavy objects (up to 40 pounds)
- Strong team work attitude and dependability is critical
- Able to perform repetitive tasks with high level of concentration
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working with plants would be considered an asset
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills
The term of appointment for these positions is April 30, 2018 to August 24, 2018. The rate for these positions is $14 per hour.