Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Research Scientist, Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Research Scientist will provide robotic and AI solutions to the Robotics & Automation department. It is a research as well as a hands-on position including developing algorithms, writing codes, testing control solutions and developing decision support systems based on sensory data.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop algorithms that use vision and other sensory data to control robots
- Use AI approaches (e.g., Neural Networks, Fuzzy Logic) for control purposes and for devising decision support systems based on sensory data
- Optimize robotic solutions (kinematics, topology, resource allocation, etc.)
- Take part/lead system design review sessions
- Collaborate in writing research papers and present results at seminars and conferences
- Devise new projects and apply for grants
- Manage Research Technicians
- Post-graduate degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or a related field
- Experience with integrating toolboxes/procedures within own written code
- Experience with designing and implementing vision-based control algorithms
- Experience with writing and implementing AI algorithms
- Experience in effectively working as part of a fast-paced team environment with minimal direction
- Confidence in interacting directly with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience in leading/managing projects
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- PhD/MSc in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or a related field
- Post-doc on robotics/control/AI
- Experience with implementing optimization algorithms
- Experience with big-data (data storage and analysis)
- Experience with writing journal and conference papers as well as grant proposals
The term of appointment for this position is a five-year contract starting in August 2018.