Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for Research Scientist, Plant Pathology to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Plant Variety Development, the Research Scientist, Plant Pathology will be a key member of Vineland’s efforts to develop new, high value plant varieties for Canadian producers. The Research Scientist, Plant Pathology will lead a research program to identify and evaluate sources of disease resistance for use in Vineland’s horticultural breeding programs. The successful candidate will collaborate closely with other scientists at Vineland as well as external partners, to enable a multidisciplinary approach to plant variety development that incorporates breeding, pathology, consumer and sensory sciences, entomology, bioinformatics and biochemistry.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and conduct disease assays for key pathogens affecting various horticultural crops
- Collect and maintain a collection of bacterial, fungal and viral pathogens
- Collaborate with scientists of different disciplines to develop new plant varieties with demonstrated disease resistance.
- Manage a team of technicians and students
- Build and maintain strong relationships with partners and stakeholders, particularly growers and their representative associations
- Stay current with advances in molecular pathology and apply those techniques in the research
- Prepare project proposals to attract both public and private sector funding for the program
- Prepare reports, presentations and other communications materials to communicate results to internal and external audiences
- Represent Vineland at industry meetings and conferences
- PhD in plant pathology or related field
- Minimum two years of experience in plant pathology and disease assay development
- Demonstrated ability to use statistical analysis in data interpretation
- Experience in the use of molecular tools in support of crop variety development
- Knowledge of genetics and genomics is a plus
- Ability to forge constructive and mutually beneficial partnerships with a wide variety of stakeholders in order to achieve objectives
- Leadership style that is approachable, enabling, honest, collaborative and proactive
- Demonstrated ability to manage several responsibilities and multi-task
- Teamwork-oriented personality capable of fostering enthusiasm and independence among team members
- Excellent communication skills to a wide variety of audiences – capable of acting as an ambassador for Vineland and conveying the organization's excellence and results-focused innovation
This is a full-time permanent position.
How to Apply:
This position is open until filled. Click on the Apply Now button.