Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Research Technician - Biological Control to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The main responsibilities of the position are laboratory and field activities in biological control and integrated pest management research on arthropods in ornamental and production horticulture.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform day-to-day laboratory and field activities in biological control and integrated pest management research on arthropods in ornamental and production horticulture
- Dedicated research tasks on specific project(s), e.g. discovery of new biocontrol agents
- Organize and run experiments (aid with experimental design and set-up, data collection, entry and analysis, develop new protocols)
- Maintain insect colonies and plants as required
- Assist in the preparation of written reports and communicate research findings and other technical development to stakeholders
- Assist with the training and oversight of co-op and summer students
- Share responsibility for the up-keep of workspaces, equipment, SDS records, electronic lab records and supplies
- Perform other designated tasks as assigned
- B.Sc in biology or related field
- Research experience in entomology, biological control and/or IPM
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Insect identification and taxonomy, insect field sampling, insect rearing, greenhouse crop production, data analysis, website building/maintenance
This is a one year contract position starting immediately.