Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Robotics Engineer to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The role of the Robotics Engineer will be to develop, implement and test algorithms for controlling various automated systems and manipulators in harvesting operations. It is a hands-on position including robot programming and control, path planning and integration of grippers. The work will involve both lab and on-farm testing.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop algorithms for robotic manipulation
- Program and control of SCARA and 6-DoF robots
- Integrate computer-vision outputs for hand-eye coordinated manipulation
- Support the design and development of custom end effectors
- Integrate different grippers with existing robots
- Prepare detailed documentation of procedures and algorithms
- Take part in system design review sessions
- Interact directly with other engineers and with research scientists (computer vision and DSS)
Bachelor’s degree in mechatronics engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or computer engineering
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- A minimum of five years work experience in programming and controlling industrial robots
- Understand various communication protocols (serial, TCP/IP, etc.), familiar with ROS (Robotic Operating System) and experience with programming in Linux enviroment
- Three to five years of experience programming in C/C++ and Python
- Vision-based robotic manipulation
- Path planning
- Masters Degree in mechatronics engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or computer engineering
- Program microcontrollers, PLC programming and troubleshooting
- Experience in a research and development work environment
This position is a three year contract.